This user guide is for the older release of the site. Most of the documentation for the current 2017 release can be found in the Auctria User Guide v3
The offline client is a downloadable version of the web site that you can run on your own (Windows) computer. The offline client will synchronize data with the web site when an internet connection is available.
Typically the offline client would only be used during an event itself (and for testing beforehand). You would still use the web site for all the preparation work and after the event reporting.
Should I use the offline client?
To decide if you should use the offline client ask yourself the following questions:
Do you have any internet access at your venue?
- No – without internet access you must use the offline client
- Yes – the offline client is optional if you have internet access
Do you have a reliable internet connection at your event venue?
- No – the offline client is a good idea if you don't have a reliable connection. Alternative you could look at providing a backup internet connection, for example a personal hot spot provided by a cell phone. As with any technology used in the auction it is a good idea to test this out before event night!
- Yes – the offline client is optional with a reliable internet connection.
Are you using the integrated credit card processing through Stripe
- Yes -- the offline client can not be used in conjunction with Stripe. Credit card processing requires an internet connection to securely handle the card transactions, so it can't be used in the offline client
Are you comfortable setting up a local area network?
- Yes – you can set up a local area network (either wired or WiFi) to use with the offline client so that other computers on the network can access the offline client. You should only ever install a single copy of the offline client on a network.
- No – if you aren't comfortable with setting up a local network then you will be limited to a single machine available offline. You can't install the offline client on two computers because they wouldn't share the changes made between them.
What do I need to run the offline client?
- A Windows PC (or laptop) with at least Windows Vista installed. Any newer version of Windows will work too, except for Windows RT.
- At least a Silver license (the offline client is also available to customers still with the older Standard & Professional plans)
If you want to have multiple computers able to work at the auction with the offline client then you will need to set up a local area network. This will enable the computers on the network to talk to each other even if they aren't connected to the internet.
This is the same type of network as you likely have at home. You can set it up using either a wired or wireless router.
If you are using the wireless network at a venue to access the internet then this may or may not be compatible with the offline client. Some wireless networks at public venues are set up to disallow traffic between devices on the network – this would prevent the offline client from working, though in this case you would still be able to access the web site.
- Installing the Offline Client
- Accessing the Offline Client
- Configuring the Offline Client
- Troubleshooting the Offline Client